There are various types of truck trailers that have separate uses and different levels of performance. And each type of truck trailers has its own application and weight limits. So it is highly necessary to maintain a few guidelines so that you can tow them easily and smoothly.
The first thing that you need to do is to find the right type of trailer for your work. For instance, your purpose and need for application are important to decide. You will never use a flatbed trailer for moving a heavy bulldozer, right? Experts like Newcastle towing and transport service providers will help you to know the right type of trailers and mechanism of towing.
Type Of Truck Trailers To Use
It is the most common type of trailers that are used widely because of its much usage. It is a versatile trailer that can handle from steel coils to even lumber. It is also very effective when it comes to heavy loads.
These are the enclosed trailers that are generally used for cargo shipping. They have flatbed and box around it. They are weatherproof and can keep the loads in good condition. This is why grocery items are shipped in this type of trailers. They also carry electronic items and clothes. Pallet jack or forklift are mostly used to unload weights from these trailers.
These are a type of dry vans that has inbuilt insulation and cooling system to keep the goods in fresh condition for a longer time. They carry frozen foods, medicines and fresh meats. These vans have a width of 8.2 feet and the maximum height is 8 feet.
Extendable Flatbed Trailers
Flatbed trailers that can be extended or stretched from 43 feet to 80 feet in length are called extendable flatbed trailers. These are primarily used to support long roads. The legal requirements remain the same as a regular flatbed trailer except for the weight limit.
Things To Know For Smooth Towing Of Trailers
- Read thoroughly your truck’s manual guide about the pickup speed, load limit, maximum weight and all the necessary guidelines that one must follow to carry a trailer. Also, read if there are any special notes mentioned by the manufacturer.
- Learn the various forms of trailer hitches and stay well informed about the different types of mechanism. This way you can choose the suitable one for you.
- Never forget to check the tires and its pressure. Also, check if the nuts are rightly connected.
- It is very important to check the wiring of the trailer and to inspect the lights. The lights must work well while you are on road.
- Before you start your journey, remember to put a light coat of lubrication on the trailer balls that remain connected to the trailer’s tongue.
- Ensure that the trailer tongue is properly latched.
- Last, but not least, the safety chains must be connected well to tow the trailer.
Truck and trailer towing is not an easy job. One needs the right training and understanding to make sure safety. But with certain tips, basic knowledge and guidelines it is always a hassle-free experience to tow a trailer.